What You and Your Clients should know about The World Outdoors
Why book your clients on an active tour with The World Outdoors?
- We pay a 10% commission on the base trip price (not on single supplements nor rentals).
- All travel agents are eligible for a 10% Fam Discount.
What sets The World Outdoors apart from other adventure travel companies?
- We are a small company committed to serving and supporting the agents who represent our tours.
- We offer more hiking tours and backcountry getaways in western North America than anyone else!
- We offer personalized service and unsurpassed support with an average guide to guest ratio of 1:4.
- We specialize in hidden, off-the-beaten-path travel experiences.
- Our professional naturalist guides are local to the regions in which we operate.
Why should your clients travel with The World Outdoors?
- Since 1988, we have been a leader and innovator in the active travel industry.
- We offer more than 80 different itineraries for all ages and abilities to 40 countries worldwide!
- They can choose between cozy inns, scenic camps or hut-to-hut tours from 5 to 18 days, from $1498 up.
- We have a 50% client return and referral rate!
In what regions does The World Outdoors specialize?
- United States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.
- National Parks: Arches, Banff, Big Bend, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Crater Lake, Denali, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Olympic, Rocky Mountain, Sequoia, Wrangell-St. Elias, Yellowstone, Yoho, Yosemite, Zion and more!
- International: Antarctica, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belize, Botswana, Bhutan, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Fiji, France, Germany, Guatemala, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Peru, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, Vietnam and Zambia.
How long has The World Outdoors been in business?
The World Outdoors was founded in 1988 and began operating biking and hiking trips in the Rockies and Southwest in 1989.
What types of active vacations does The World Outdoors offer?
- Multisport tours that include a variety of activities such as biking, hiking, rafting, horseback riding and sea kayaking
- Hiking tours for those who want to experience the backcountry on foot
- Specialty tours including those exclusively for Singles, Families, youth groups, Charters, and Custom and Incentive programs
What is The World Outdoors' commitment to service?
We value you and your client's business, and we want our relationship to always be positive and rewarding. Our goal is to earn you and your clients' 100% satisfaction!
What is The World Outdoors' commitment to the environment?
Since The World Outdoors was founded in 1988, we have worked to support environmental causes close to both our homes and hearts. Our primary focus is to reduce, reuse and recycle — to leave areas in better condition than when we found them. When your clients travel with The World Outdoors, we encourage them to help us minimize our impact on the unique and varied ecosystems we encounter by taking only pictures and leaving only footprints.
Do you have references for your trips?
Absolutely! The World Outdoors is happy to provide travel agents and your prospective clients with the names of past trip participants who have volunteered to be references.
What's generally included in the trip price?
- double-occupancy accommodations
- all meals unless otherwise noted
- activities and equipment as specified in your daily itinerary
- expertise and services of professional leaders
- van shuttles
- land transportation from trip assembly points
- park fees, taxes, dining and housekeeping gratuities
- pre-departure information
- a T-shirt and water bottle
What is generally excluded from the trip price?
- personal insurance
- optional activities
- personal expenses
- alcoholic beverages
- gratuities to trip leaders as deemed appropriate
- bike, tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad rentals on domestic tours unless otherwise specified
Who travels with The World Outdoors? The same types of people who call or come into your office everyday!
- Diverse travelers who are looking for an active vacation and an alternative to the traditional "beach" vacation
- People from all corners of the world and from a variety of backgrounds, ages, and abilities
- Couples typically between the ages of 25 and 70
- Single travelers and families who can choose from numerous departures reserved exclusively for them
- Children ages 8 and older
- Those who want to try something new from sea kayaking in Hawaii to rock climbing in Yosemite
- Anyone in search of unique travel experiences
How large will my clients' group be?
The average group size on all The World Outdoors trips is 8. The maximum number of guests for most itineraries is 12. The minimum is normally 4 but some trips can be confirmed with even fewer.
What kind of shape does my client need to be in to enjoy their trip?
Each trip is rated easy, moderately easy, moderate to challenging or challenging depending on the distances, elevation changes and/or technical abilities required. On some days of your client's vacation, they may have a choice of mileage options.
The World Outdoors vacations are designed for all abilities! Some trips are more challenging than others and we suggest that you speak with one of our Trip Consultants about your client's current activity level and the type of adventure they're looking for. We'll help you choose the trip that's right for them by asking detailed questions about their outdoor background, physical activity, and preferred style of travel.
We want your clients to be on the right trip just as much as you do, so please call 800-488-8483 or email us.
How do you accommodate clients of varying abilities?
It is critical to your client's enjoyment of their trip that they be matched with the right degree of challenge. Please review the trip descriptions throughout our catalog and web site for more information or contact one of our Trip Consultants to find the perfect trip for your clients' needs.
Most domestic tours and some international trips are run by two guides, thus giving us greater flexibility to handle a range of physical abilities among the guests in the group.
What are standard accommodations on The World Outdoors trips?
Standard accommodations on our inn trips are double occupancy and almost always with private bath (unless otherwise specified in our detailed trip itineraries). However, on hut trips, up to 6 clients per room is common. Single occupancy rooms are available for a single supplement fee. Otherwise, we assign two solo travelers per room by gender.
Who will lead my clients' trip?
At The World Outdoors, we realize that a trip is only as good as its leaders...and ours are among the best. Our guides' in-depth knowledge of the local geography, natural history and culture comes from years of experience. They take great pleasure in sharing their insights with your clients. In addition to sharing hidden wonders your clients may never find on their own, our guides make sure their vacation runs smoothly and delivers an unforgettable experience. Above all, our guides are an extraordinary group of gifted professionals who are congenial, caring and fun loving. Their attention to detail is unmatched, their enthusiasm infectious, and their personalities and talents make the difference between a good trip and a great one!
Does The World Outdoors' staff and management research and participate in The World Outdoors' trips?
The staff and management of The World Outdoors are personally involved in all aspects of trip development, from choosing destinations to selecting hotels and restaurants to scouting routes and finding off-the-beaten-path experiences unavailable to the casual tourist. Additionally, each year every member of The World Outdoors' office staff guides a few tours or hosts an international trip.
How far in advance do I need to book my clients?
The farther in advance that you book your clients, the better selection of available departure dates they will have. You'll definitely want to make reservations for our most popular summer destinations, such as Yellowstone, Colorado, Glacier, the Canadian Rockies, Grand Canyon, and Alaska, at least 90 days out. Peru and Costa Rica also tend to book up early. For holiday trips, you'll want to reserve several months out to find the best selection.
How do I get my clients to the start of their trip? How will I get them to the airport at the trip's end?
From each gateway city, convenient transportation is available to the assembly point. As noted in individual trip itineraries, trips almost always conclude where they began. Specific information regarding your client's trip meeting and ending times and transportation to the assembly point are included in their Confirmation Packet that is emailed to you upon registration.
If you wish to make airline reservations for your client before receiving their planner, please contact a Trip Consultant for trip starting and ending times.
How can I arrange my client's travel before and after their trip?
For help in arranging air transportation, pre- and post-trip hotels, rental cars or rail tickets in conjunction with your The World Outdoors trip, contact one of our Trip Consultants.
We would be happy to answer any questions and can be reached 8:00 to 5:00 (Mountain Time) Monday - Friday. Please call us at 800-488-8483, fax us at 303-413-0926, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.